If you find it hard to manage, feel overwhelmed or are worried about someone else, talking to others really does help. Many students feel like this - it's not unusual and staff are used to helping those who have feelings difficult to handle.
Initially you can speak to your WAO or Mr Whittaker. They are trained to help and can also refer you to professionals who can help you further. These professionals are experts and can talk to you; they want to help and are dedicated to helping those like you. You are not alone.
Additionally, there are many organisations that provide information and help for those suffering from mental health issues, and are linked below:
- Anxiety UK: www.anxietyuk.org.uk Self help and contacts for those with anxiety disorders.
- B-eat: b-eat.co.uk The UK's leading charity supporting those affected by eating disorders and campaigning on their behalf.
- Campaign against Men Living Miserably (CALM): www.thecalmzone.net. Targeted at men aged 15-35 – Helpline: 0800 585858 Saturday-Tuesday 5.00 pm-midnight.
- Charlie Waller Memorial Trust: www.cwmt.org Awareness, information and resources for those who are depressed.
- 24-hour Helpline: 0800 1111. Information, advice and emotional support for young people.
- Cruse: www.cruse.org.uk. Bereavement care. They have a specific website for young people; www.rd4u.org.uk.
- Marie Collins Foundation: mariecollinsfoundation.org.uk UK charity enabling children who suffer sexual abuse and exploitation via internet and mobile technologies to recover and live safe, fulfilling lives.
- http://www.mind.org.uk/mental_health_a-z/8071_children_and_young_people - Offering a range of material on all aspects of depression. Helpline Monday-Friday, 9.00 am-5.00 pm: 0300 123 3393.
- Mindfull: www.mindfull.org. An online service for people aged 11-17 providing support, information and advice about mental health and wellbeing.
- No Panic: www.nopanic.org.uk. Helpline for anxiety disorders and panic attacks: 10.00 am-10.00 pm every day: 0808 138 8889.
- OCD Action: www.ocdaction.org.uk. Information and support for OCD and related disorders such as Body Dysmorphic Disorder.
- Papyrus: www.papyrus-uk.org. Organisation looking at the prevention of young suicides.
- Samaritans: www.samaritans.org. Telephone 116123 for emotional support.
- SelfHarm UK: www.selfharm.co.uk A national project to support young people impacted by self-harm.
- Stamp Out Suicide: www.stampoutsuicide.co.uk Points of contact for those feeling emotionally vulnerable.
- Stem 4: stem4.org.uk Teenage mental health charity aimed at stemming commonly occurring mental health issues at an early stage.
- Students against Depression: www.studentsagainstdepression.org. Information and help for anyone feeling depressed, aimed particularly at students.
- www.depressioninteenagers.co.uk. Self-help strategies for those with depression and/or their friends.
- Youth Health Talk: www.youthhealthtalk.org. video interviews with young people's experiences of depression.